Disasterchannel.co, – There is still sky above the sky, underground there is still plate movement activity. Our country is at a confluence of plates which makes it have many volcanoes. The existence of volcanoes and landslides are actually related, just like me and you who are related to the intermediary of this writing, Eeeaaaa……
Let’s stop the bullshit first, let’s see why this country is prone to landslides?
So you see, Friends of DC, in Indonesia you often find weathered soil types resulting from volcanic eruptions. This type of soil has a composition of mostly clay with a little sand and is fertile. Weathered soil, which is on top of impermeable rocks in hills or ridges with moderate to steep slopes, has the potential to cause landslides during the rainy season with high quantity of rainfall. If there are no perennials with strong and deep roots in the hills, then the area is prone to landslides.
Landslides are usually interpreted as a displacement of slope-forming material in the form of rock, debris, soil, or mixed materials, moving down or off the slope.
The process of occurrence of landslides can be explained in several stages. First of all the water seeps into the soil will add to the weight of the soil. If the water penetrates into the impermeable soil which acts as a slip surface, the soil becomes slippery and the weathered soil above it will move along the slope and off the slope.
There are different types of landslides. The types of landslides are categorized into six types, namely translational landslides, rotational landslides, block movements, rockfalls, soil creeps, and debris flows. The most common types of translational and rotational avalanches occur in Indonesia. While the avalanches that claimed the most human lives were the debris flows.
Like a doi who likes to give signs when he is attracted to you, landslides also have signs when he will happen to you. These signs are really important for you to know, because saterchannel.co is kind-hearted, so we’re leaking the signs of an avalanche so you remember. The signs are:
- The appearance of cracks in the slope parallel to the direction of the cliff.
- Usually occurs after rain.
- The sudden appearance of a new spring.
- The brittle cliffs and pebbles started falling.
The culmination of all love problems is ending in the word ex. Well, to reduce the impact of heartbreak, DC friends must have their own way. But surely not many people know how to reduce the impact of landslides, that’s why disasterchannel.co wants to tell all friends of DC the stages of landslide disaster mitigation, including:
- Avoid disaster-prone areas for the construction of settlements and other key facilities.
- Reducing the run-off level of surface slopes and groundwater. (The function of the drainage is to keep water away from the slope, preventing water from seeping into the slope or draining water into the slope to the outside of the slope. So drainage must be maintained so that it does not get clogged or seeps water into the ground).
- Construction of retaining structures, anchors (anchor) and pilling.
- Terraces with proper drainage system (drainage on the terraces is maintained so that it does not become a way of absorbing water into the soil.
- Reforestation with plants with deep root systems and proper spacing (especially for steep slopes, with a slope of more than 40 degrees or about 80%, it is better not to plant too tightly and alternate with plants that are shorter and lighter, plant grass at the base).
- Build a building with a strong foundation.
- Perform soil compaction around the housing.
- Identification of landslide prone areas.
- Construction of retaining embankments for rock fall.
- Sealing of cracks on slopes to prevent water from rapidly entering the ground.
- Pile foundations are strongly recommended to avoid the danger of liquefaction (liquid infection).
- Utilities that exist in the ground must be flexible.
- In some cases relocation is strongly advised.
Those are the things you should know about landslides and their mitigation. Disasterchannel.co doesn’t want our relationship to stop here. If DC friends miss you, then just read the articles on this website, so that we can stay intimately connected for the nation’s resilience. (LS)